View Single Post
Old 19th May 2019, 21:32   #1
StephenEssex
Loves to post

2000 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur

Default Overheated 2.5 V6 and failed rad hose

Hello All, today for the first time my 2000/W reg 2.5 V6 Auto has let me down, it was running sweet as always but I stopped and parked up and got out the car and noticed coolant running along the road so popped the bonnet up and coolant was spraying out the hose beside the engine with the small bleed screw on the top (main engine to rad hose). Called the RAC who turned up and obviously got the usual HGF symptoms and this car looks finished type comments... he said the coolant looked oily but doesn't OAT have an oily film on the top? there was some small bits of sludge that came out and the rad wasn't getting warm, the top hose had some of the OAT'y coloured sludge build up in it too. He towed me home.

Oil is clean, car has not been using water (maybe the occasional cup full every so often) no smoke or steam on start up.

The coolant was flushed and replaced on 68,000 miles just over 3 years ago (now on 75,000 miles)

I think the coolant was due another flush and replace, I know the heater matrix is silted up as the heaters don't work. There was some air in the system apparently and in the end the diagnosis from RAC was a poor flow of coolant causing it to boil up and force its way out this hose (not the expansion cap)

Thoughts please chaps?

Kind Regards
Stephen
StephenEssex is offline   Reply With Quote