Thread: A wet boot
View Single Post
Old 8th January 2020, 20:27   #8
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
i recently changed the rear light seals which were the originals. however the cause of my leak was slight tear and damage to boot seal. i fixed this with automotive sealant and it's been fine since. just check it and look under it for tell tale rust or dampness under the seal.
I was plagued by a boot leak in my ZT 260 saloon. The garage was just not interested and tried to sell me a new car. This forum was a massive, massive indispensable help to me. The boot collecting water is a multi-faceted problem.
I started with Arctic's sunroof drain mod which is essential. Big reduction in water in the car. I replaced the tail light gaskets and siliconed the rear vents...further useful reduction in water, but... still water in the boot. I sealed the rear side trim strips, still water in the boot. I replaced the lower rear windscreen trim clips, all eight. (It's possible without removing the windscreen if you trim the clips carefully & I placed a little silicone there too). Still water in the boot although a bit less. I read every thread on the forum on water leaks and had done everything, so I bought a new boot seal even though my original looked OK, just a little rust underneath which I cleaned off....still water in the boot. Checked all the plenum drains and the rear boot hinges...all OK but water in the boot. I took all the trim out and got my son to pour UV dyed water over the car from a big watering can while I was in the boot with a UV light. Didn't find anything.
Checked the boot hinge alignment. OK but still water ingress.

I did notice that my 2004 car had a factory installed rubber drain tube hidden under the battery plate in the boot...tantamount to MG admitting they had a boot water ingress problem/design flaw they just couldn't work out!
Then in frustration I silicone sealed the brand new boot seal the entire length of where it fits over the steel boot lip.
Instant fix of remaining leak and the car has been dry ever since. Just took patience to dry out the foam and carpets!
Posting this for what it's worth...my opinion is that heavy rain in particular (or going through a car wash) just backed up water in the drainage channel around the boot lip as it became overwhelmed by the flow. It then was able to leak around the new seal from the underneath until I siliconed it.
If you have a boot leak, you can fix it. Get familiar with this forum and read all of the great advice from everyone who takes time to post their experiences and advice. Thanks to all posters.
Good luck!
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote