View Single Post
Old 29th August 2018, 08:25   #30
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

I can only offer my opinion as someone who was still in school when MG Rover went under. In 2005 I was 12 so not long left primary school (jeez that makes me feel old).

As a schoolkid with a keen interest in cars, I really didn't see the appeal of MG Rover cars at all and this is because they had such an old-fashioned image - but I'm not talking about the 'old mans car' effect, but rather that it was clear how old the designs were. Also, having no new models on the cards gave the company no chance to interest a new generation of car buyers.

I didn't realise at the time the financial issues the company had though, so that explains the lack of development of a new model or two. But it wasn't until recently that I came to know just how wasteful their spending was.

Apparently they absolutely poured money into racing in the 24 Hours of Le Mans - I can't see how that was a good idea with everything else they had going on. Seems to me that the Phoenix Four were just having a good time splashing the cash.

It's only now that I'm so bored of all the samey-samey rubbish on the road that I've grown a soft spot for the MG Rover marque as it's a little different and you don't see them so much anymore. They're quite a bit more interesting in my opinion than all the dreary Euroboxes on the road.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote