View Single Post
Old 28th August 2018, 19:56   #24
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
I could never understand why BMW who had any interest in purchasing them- they already dominated the British mid/large car market, evidently the most profitable section. The MiNI has proved a money spinner but that was a lot of money and a roundabout way to get the name and no certainty of its success. So what would induce a secretive family controlled car company to venture that amount of money. I think politics was a major factor in whether or not larger investment was made, and at the time the New Labour Government as others before only thought in 5year futures and no one wants to invest in a industry that may still fail or worse still succeed during the next governments (the opposition)! tenure. What did BMW get out of it apart from the MINI? maybe a pat on the back from other European government who saw the British car industry finally destroyed and their factory operations in UK waved through. Maybe some financial favours from the German Banks-lands Banks particularly. It suited a lot of organisations for MGRover to fail so it did. Chris.S.
A lot of truth here.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote