View Single Post
Old 27th November 2018, 19:02   #10
ricebridge
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
On mine at least, the total consistency of the gauge would suggest some other fault, eg , a bent float arm.
Yes, if it's consistent. But I don't think Richard3275's was?

I haven't had the privilege of looking closer at a 75/ZT float and sensor, but drawing on experience from other makes, they usually consist of a float at the far end of a very thin and flimsy steel spoke that could easily get bent. This, in turn, is connected to a variable resistor; the same principle as a potentiometer, only arch-shaped. As the float moves up or down, the resistance changes in the electric circuit connected to it, and this change is measured by your gauge.
Such a resistor would normally be kept lubricated by the fuel itself. However, all such resistors are sensitive to buildup of sludge, dirt, grit, and even corrosion. That's one possible source for an inconsistent reading.

Another is probably the cables and connectors themselves. Being exposed as they are to the elements, they cannot be blamed for deteriorating over time. Weak points are especially any connectors or couplings where air, moist, goo and whatnot can make its way in and mess with the electronics. So I'd start looking there.
ricebridge is offline   Reply With Quote