Old 22nd April 2017, 09:10   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
OK, no problem Ian.

The sun blind switch contains a sophisticated electronic circuit. When you push the button to raise your sun blind, this circuit sends a voltage to the motor. The motor then runs and raises the blind.

You asked how the blind knows that it is "all the way up or down". The answer is that it doesn't. The movement of the blind is stopped by the voltage being removed from the motor after it has run for two and a half seconds. It has been calaculated that this is the exact time required for the motor to drive the blind up or down. The voltage to the motor is switched on and off by the electronic circuit in the sun blind button. That's the answer to your later question: "what stops it?".

That's basically how it works. There's a safety mechanism to prevent the motor burning out if something goes wrong and that's the "current monitor". Please say so if you want to know more about that.

Is that any clearer? If not, it's no problem, just let me know which bits are confusing and I'll think of another way to explain it.

Simon

that's more to my level of understanding, thank you.
Next question, how does it know if to go up or down? I ask as mine went faulty and so I have pushed the button a number of times and so I have no idea if the last push was to go up or go down. Now fitting a replacement I am concerned that although the blind is down, the next push will try to send the blind down and damage it

sorry if these are elementary questions but I appreciate the help with understanding

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote