View Single Post
Old 29th August 2016, 21:42   #9
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

You can add Nikon, Pentax and a few other manufacturers to that list. It is hard to buy a poor camera these days. A lot depends on how and where she wants to shoot the hairstyles. For a typical portrait the usual method would involve off camera flash. She may not want to get that involved so maybe on camera flash that can bounce of ceiling is ok. She may not want to use flash at all and maybe shoot outside (with or without flash).

Typical focal lengths for a portrait (I guess this is the type of shot she will be looking for) would be 50mm or 85mm or higher, even up to 200mm. But 50mm would be a good starter and is covered by most kit zoom lenses. (full frame equivalent)

Good advice from CLf above

Here is a shot with a 60mm lens on an APS-C sensor (sorry for all the Jargon) with one off camera flash outdoors. I tried this for the first time a few weeks ago so could be better. She is not meant to be modelling hair but you can see how the flash has lit her hair and put a catchlight in her eye.

I think this illustrates how much effect lighting can have . This maybe what she wants or maybe she wants not to bother so much with the light.

Portrait
by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 29th August 2016 at 22:12..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote