View Single Post
Old 28th August 2016, 13:26   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
Daughter is looking for a decent camera probably a slr one.
This is for her portfolio work on hair styles.
She's looked at Nikon cool pic B500 also cannon & Sony models but 'be not a clue what I'm looking for or what's best etc. Budget around £250 so if anyone does have some suggestions on whi model specs etc are best I'd be grateful.
I am very out of touch on current ranges but, lighting is going to paramount for 'hairstyle shots' The B500 is not an SLR, rather a compact camera within an SLR style body. But crucially the flash is fixed, pointing forward, and that will create an issue with shadows when taking shots. A flash that allows her to 'bounce' (ie point it) it to the ceiling would be highly desirable.

First question is, is she interested in photography and wishes to use the camera for other subjects?

If yes, I fear your budget may not be sufficient, however it is a substantial start, and rather than starting 'cheaper' to see how it goes,only to find you will be spending more than that sooner rather than later to get the level of photography she is looking for. Your budget though will go a long way to something more beneficial. Perhaps £400-£450.

If the answer would be 'no' , my favourite camera is a Samsung WB 250, although it is over 3 years old now. But the articulated flash is quite simply amazing! As well as the other features packed into it, from fully automatic, to fully manual (including focus!) . My own, I have a small piece of blu tac stuck to it always, to allow me to hold the flash back to point upwards (but it is small enough that you can hold it with your shutter finger) See image below

very simple to use, switch it to auto, and off you go, or to the other extreme, completely manual. Even remote control using a smartphone too. Small enough to put into a handbag, and use for nights out too.

Going to the other end of the spectrum, I would want to have an SLR, with an 18-55mm lens, and a separate flashgun. Buying used would be the way to go for this, to keep close to your budget. Something like a Canon 500d or 550dwith kit lens (18-55mm) and get something like a Jessops 360 flashgun to allow for bouncing off the ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (81.9 KB, 74 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote