View Single Post
Old 18th June 2019, 11:33   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Hey there, to test the spark plug unscrew it, reconnect the HT Lead, and use a pair of pliers to hold the metal part at the bottom of the plug against the cylinderhead. Now, if someone pulls the starter cord, you should be able to see the spark jump at the electrode of the plug.

I'd also check the spark plug gap while it was out.

There are some good videos on Youtube about diagnosing your mower issues - I had the same problem as you and it turned out to be corrosion of the armature. I removed it, cleaned it with wire wool and then reset the gap between it and the flywheel using feeler gauges, although you can do it by eye if you saw how close it was before you removed it. If you remove it, make sure that you put it back on the right way up ;-)

If your mower has a kill switch (or handle you have to hold up for the mower to run) then also check that mechanism as I've had issues in the past where oxidation of a copper leaf switch prevented contact and therefore stopped the spark.

If it's sparking then you've got a fuelling problem - can you smell fresh petrol in the cylinder when the plug's out?
spoil sport
put thumb over end of HT lead and try to start mover ok may be not it really is not very pleasant.

Use insulated pliers not just metal handled ones. I tend to use a dry hanky

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote