View Single Post
Old 27th September 2007, 08:22   #25
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi,

The original repair and procedures manual for the Rover 75, produced for the industry by Thatcham in 1999, contains the instructions for carrying out wheel alignment only with a full fuel tank. Happy to post a copy of the relevant page if that would help - as soon as I find the ****** thing in my archive doh!

Regards

Mike
I don’t doubt what was written in 1999 but having personally tracked thousands of cars over many years, I have known a lot of data be amended. Autodata supply this information to almost all the motor repair industry, sourced from motor vehicle manufacturers.
Many manufacturers ballast cars to obtain the appropriate ride height to enable setting the vehicle when new. Due to wear and tear on joints, settlement/ weakening of springs and so on, the ride height of a vehicle changes. By filling the tank you will more than likely have a vehicle with a lower ride height than when set up as new. This fact has caused many vehicles settings to be amended. Tracking is not an exact science the setting figures are averages and as such will suit some cars better than others.
I have personally set up my own 75 using no ballast other than what is usually in the car. I then pull down and pushed up on the suspension making sure she didn’t exit the stated tolerances while watching for variation in measurements, this indicates if a vehicle has more wear on one side. This is possibly the reason JDC is getting wear on one wheel only, but fitters says its ok when checked.