Thread: Clutch judder
View Single Post
Old 13th February 2013, 08:58   #17
Rob Bell
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDTi +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Blue Tourer View Post
I belive that most of the experts on here reckon that only one in a hundred need changing now!

I think the high fail rate (in the past) probably has more to do with fast fit clutch centers profit margins than reality!!

If they see you bring in a car worth circa £800-1200 they realise that your likely to not bother with doing it at all if the quotes to high so they are quoteing the costs more sensibly rather than lose the work!

Andy
Hmm, interesting. The clutch was replaced at an MG Rover dealer in Cornwall a few years ago now. The new clutch has had a slight judder ever since. Actually a lower mount could be a reasonable explanation for this, as the judder is only really noticeable on pulling from standstill and most likely if there is a bit of steering lock applied...

Anyway, things have rather come to a head: last night got a phone call from my wife to inform me that the clutch pedal was on the floor and she couldn't select any gears. And the car was stranded in the middle of a busy junction. Terrific. AA were rubbish: despite her being a woman alone, and the car in a precarious position they couldn't come for over 2 hours I had to call the police to tell them about the potential hazard, but ultimately some kind passers by helped her push the car to a position of relative safety.

I got home before the AA had arrived, and was able to get partial clutch release by pumping the pedal - and was able to drive the car in one gear to the local backstreet garage and abandoned it there.

They're having a look for me today. Clutch has regained partial operation by this morning apparently, but is biting near the bottom of its travel. They're starting what I expect to be an expensive investigation into the problem this morning.

I still suspect the slave cylinder. Question I suppose is whether the clutch should be replaced again at the same time...

More soon!
Rob Bell is offline   Reply With Quote