View Single Post
Old 16th December 2012, 11:50   #27
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Watch carefully the video at 7:32. The key slot of the intake camshaft is aligned, because it is hold in position by the front (long) cambelt. The exhaust camshaft is free to move and the key slot is NOT aligned (take a look at the attached picture). The valves springs makes it "jump" to a less tensioned position. He uses that wrench to turn the shaft back to the aligned position, otherwise the pulleys don't fit. If you don't remove the exhaust pulley (and you don't have to), you don't need access to the front part of the engine at this stage. You can use the belt fitted to the pulley to turn the exhaust shaft, or, as kaiser said, you may use a wrench.
It doesn't matter if you align the pulleys with the "V" oriented inside or outside as long as:
1. the crankshaft is in safe position.
2. you do it the SAME for all four camshafts, frond cylinder bank and rear cylinder bank.
3. the V is faced to the LARGER square slot or if the V is oriented to outside, then the larger slot is outside too (as in my picture with the red line).
Yes, the engine is locked in the safe position in my picture, but one revolution in front (or one revolution behind, it is the same thing) compared to the book, which correspond to a half revolution (180 degrees) on the camshafts.
I have to point out here that beside following the instructions it is very important to understand how it works. Good luck again!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear cambelt.jpg (45.0 KB, 142 views)

Cheers,

Fidel

Last edited by workaholic_ro; 16th December 2012 at 11:56..
workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote