View Single Post
Old 15th December 2012, 17:30   #22
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

You can, but you don't have to. Besides, it would be difficult to untighten and to tighten back that bolt without the special locking tool.
Remove the one from the right only (intake camshaft). Then, using the belt if you pull from the lower side you can turn the shaft. The right position of the exhaust camshaft pulley is with the larger slot faced to the V cut and the line of the intake camshaft. Take care, sometimes the valve's springs tend to rotate the shafts in another position than the desired one, you may need to improvise to hold them.

I'm afraid you were right, the exhaust camshaft is about 60 degree behind the normal position and that means three or four teeth.

Nota bene: the camshaft bolts are TTY (torque to yeld), if you want to do everything by the book you should use new bolts. (I didn't, but that's on my own risk)
...and never hold the camshaft from the other end to tighten a bolt. You may break it it had not been designed to take so much torque.
Good luck!

Cheers,

Fidel

Last edited by workaholic_ro; 15th December 2012 at 17:40..
workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote