View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:17   #1
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Default white smoke from CDTi, good, bad or just ugly?

Good evening everyone.

I have always thought white smoke from an engine was particually bad but after reading a few posts I'm not so clear!

Today I had to take my mother to hospital and needed to get there quite urgently. I never advocate speeding but on a clear country straight road I put my foot down.

I clocked the speedo just over 90mph and couldn't say what the revs were at as its an auto, with foot fairy planted on the gas pedal but not fully down.

Looked in the rear view to see a few hundred yards or so behind me a James Bondy stile white smoke screen!

Took foot off gas and let speed and revs die away and smoke to stop and kept going...only not as fast. On the way back I took her, ( the car not me mother!!) Up to 80 ish slowly and no smoke!

I have just put Rons box on and set it to low maf hi torque and hi power. Have a new Jetex air filter, have cleaned the EGR and replaced the PCV.. I do still have a howling from somewhere when the revs come up to 2k or so and have new O rings but yet to fit them!!

Is this white smoke something to be concerned about as I see some posts saying it could just be unburnt fuel...

Any advice is gleefully asimillated.... Thanks for reading peeps!!