View Single Post
Old 26th November 2021, 09:48   #36
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueofthedevil View Post
Finally, whatever your views of Brexit, it should now be clear that the whole business of 'taking back control' of our borders was a myth. We had full control of our borders even within the EU, but successive British governments chose not to impose a cap on how many EU citizens came here to work. All that has happened is that we have restricted the number of hard-working people who broadly share our values, and funny old thing, we can't now fill all the jobs in care homes, meat processing, haulage etc (yes I'm aware that there are other factors which have contributed to the shortages as well). The number of people trying to enter this country illegally hasn't changed, because that was nothing to do with EU membership. The only difference is that the EU is less likely to sympathize with our situation since we told them to do one!
Yes I agree. The myth of taking back control, served its purpose at the referendum, sensible people saw it for what it was. The people who said it, need to be taken to task IMO. I cannot see a resolution to this as we have poor relations with the EU, France in particular. Unfortunately as a third country now, one that has just left the EU, we will not be helped even if we donate many more £’s to France. Luckily the winter weather will come to our aid but the problem will not go away.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote