View Single Post
Old 17th January 2020, 14:48   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
In August of 2019, I decided to carry out some long term experiments to solve the issues with my MkII's opaque headlight lenses. https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...highlight=lens

To test my theory I scrounged a gash Mk I lens from a local member. Idea was to try ordinary clear coat lacquer on on of the lenses on my Mk II and on the donated MK I lens, the latter being left out in the full sun and weather for a test period to see what developed. My Mk II spends much of its time in my garage, so hardly a fair test of deterioration.

I began by thoroughly abrading both headlights down to bare polycarbonate, with course wet and dry, until I was certain all the original coating was gone, then polished them back up, with finer and finer grades of wet and dry, finishing off with a metal polish, before washing thoroughly.

That, I followed with several coats of my clear coat aerosol. My finish proved a little disappointing, in that marks in the form of what looked like cracks appeared in the coating on both lenses.

I managed to polish the worst of the lines out, before finishing with metal polish. Too the good - neither lens has shown any deterioration at all in the 6 months since I did them.

When I have simply polished them up without any coating, the have deteriorated almost before my eyes in just weeks - so I'm that a successful experiment.
Would the effect driving through rain, dust smoke even air cause more immediate issues with abrasion or breakdown of the clear coat?

Perhaps also the uv reflecting of the surface of the polycarbonate to the inside of the clear coat cause issue?

I understand the experiment is just a simple one, but could the questions above be even relevant or am I thinking too much into it.

I have to say I find your experiments both engaging and fascinating. I and I am sure others appreciate the time and the effort you go to for them. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote