View Single Post
Old 13th June 2018, 16:37   #123
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Well Brian, I'm not surprised to read this because it's the only exit you have. It's obvious to most of us that an air filter and a sparking plug cannot possibly deteriorate simply due to the passage of time. Therefore MGR's motive for specifying replacement on this basis has to be commercial. After all, it's what keeps not only the car industry but our entire economic system going. Timing belts are no exception.

Brian; you have repeatedly asked my profession. This makes no difference to the validity of my argument. After claiming to be an "engineer", you should be able to deal with a simple principle such as mine without having to resort to childish and disrespectful tactics. The fact that you are unable to do this speaks volumes. I know many excellent engineers, and your behaviour on this forum resembles a cross between a school bully and a salesman who has turned into a "keyboard warrior". I hope that one day you will be able to adopt a more mature and tolerant attitude towards others.

Simon

Simon, an air filter will degrade due to the passage of time, they contain a large amount of polyurethane which due to hydrolysis (amongst others) causes the polymer to harden and lose its properties.

Coupled with temperature variation, this will degrade the filter even if it appears to be perfectly ok to the eye.