View Single Post
Old 25th November 2013, 12:24   #5
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Thanks for replying!

I think you are probably right about iTunes, although I would like to keep it if possible as it provides a means to "remotely" control what the Denon is playing

It would seem that iTunes/AirPlay, or at least the part that this plays in the system may be causing the issues. The layout of the system is basically:-
  • Media is stored on the WD NAS, in the form of MP3's, from memory most being 192kb
  • The NAS is plugged into the router via a standard LAN cable
  • The router is plugged into a Powerlink socket, again via LAN cable
  • The signal is then going via the household electrical supply to the other Powerlink socket, which is connected to the Denon Network Player via another LAN cable

Operating without iTunes (ie via the Denon interface) and taking iTunes out of the loop reveals that

a) The Denon will connect to the WD NAS and stream music without my laptop even needing to be switched on
b) I can play a whole album without a single drop-out!

With this experiment completed, it would seem that I either have to put up with using the clonky Denon interface (and squinting across the room to read the display!) or to find an alternative to iTunes that I can use to operate the system/choose tracks but still leave the connections as above

The quest continues!