Thread: My two 75's
View Single Post
Old 26th June 2017, 19:40   #158
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

This year I had serious thoughts about running two cars and was going to place the 75 on SORN.
With the road tax now £305 it was getting too much however the missus told me to go ahead as we may need the second car with the current problems with the Jaguar.
So I re taxed it on 1st June then in mid June the insurance renewal hit the deck at around £212 then of course it's the MOT.

I had a lot of other things on the go plus the weather was awful, more like October than late June but today at least it was dry so I set about checking it over for MOT.
My son arrived and said why don't you just stick it in and see if it passes but then he said of course you're "old school"

My pre MOT checks involve removing all for wheels and stripping down the brakes for a full check, even though the car has only done around 3k since the last Test. I started off with the off side rear and all was well then moving to the near side rear I found quite a lot of brake dust on the inside of the wheel. Then I noticed that the paint on the back plate was all burnt.
The reason, well the brake pads were right down almost to the metal, ( the opposite side was still like new) and the reason for this was a seized calliper. It had obviously managed to push out but had not returned.

I found this rather odd as I had never experienced any drag or lack of performance. Unfortunately I have no sense of smell at all so I couldn't smell any brake overheating. However I managed to coop the missus to collect the parts required, well she was in town anyway but she still managed a slight moan, maybe it was the £102 it cost for the calliper and a new set of pads.

All I need to do now is get it booked in and hopefully I will be back on the road.
The XF is going in for four new doors in early August but I've elected to take a courtesy car as the XF is going to be in the body shop for two weeks.

Never had any such problems with the 75's over 15 years ownership, is this what we call progress. !
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote