Thread: Any Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 15th December 2023, 09:36   #1
tony2021

MG ZT 190+

Default Any Suggestions

Last month, I made the mistake of taking my ZT V6 190+ swimming. A big mistake. The road was flooded and I mis-judged the depth of the water and even after owning the car for 20 years, I still didn't realise how low down the air intake is. The result is that the engine sucked up water and died just after getting back on dry road. The worse thing is the car was in great condition - up until then.

I have been trying to nurse it back to life since then. After cleaning out the plugs, the engine restarted but with steam coming out of the exhaust and a sludgy brown liquid (petrol + water?) leaking back out of the air intake (air filter removed). The engine ran for a while before cutting out.

Since then I have been trying to get an improvement and it is now starting and, running at idle speed and getting up to operating temperature, but still with steam coming out of the exhaust - and sludgy brown liquid coming out of the air intake. The oil is now starting to look like there is water in it and I suspect that the coolant is going down.

My guess is that the damage was more serious than I first hoped and that this may be the end of the road for a well loved car in otherwise good condition.

Any suggestions on what to do next are welcome.
tony2021 is offline   Reply With Quote