View Single Post
Old 26th April 2019, 22:48   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
The seller and I have been playing email tennis all day and it's gotten to be beyond a joke.

In a nutshell, I wanted to know three things:
  • Why have you sold me a grey import camera when you told me it was a genuine UK destined camera?
    What market was it really destined for so I can register it with them.
    How have European documents ended up inside the box?

At first they replied simply asking me to follow a link to the European Canon website to register it....

I explained that all that link did was allow me to join a mailing list and from there I had checked the serial number and had it confirmed it was not originally intended for Europe..

This went backwards and forwards for some time until they said its not a grey import, its just you can't register it because it's not through their network....

To which I replied, "so it is a grey import then, which is exactly what I asked you before I bought it.

She came back saying that it's not a grey import, if it was it wouldn't have a warranty, a UK plug or English on the camera menu.

I give up!

Despite this, I am going to keep it. It's definitely an import, I wouldn't mind if they were honest from the start, but they haven't been.

The charging plug is clearly not Canon. The lead is about two feet long and the plug looks very poor quality. It has BS marks literally all over it.

This is another telltale of a grey import, the mains plug used to come with a euro two pin to UK adaptor (I know this is not the case this time). But in saying that, the Canon leads I have had were about 2 feet long - I use a Hahnel double battery charger.

The camera and lens though, they are really nice.

It's been raining pretty much all day today so haven't got out with it.
I did take a couple of snaps of the dogs though, inside, no flash, 1/25 shutter speed, F7.1, ISO 6400 and no noise at all.
With my 700D it would have looked a right mess with those settings.
Found THIS website which may be of interest.

On the whole, I wouldnt be overly concerned, especially if you are happy with the results and the price . I reckon Canon UK or another repair agent would still repair any issues if you were to have them out of warranty, but you would pay as anybody would for out of warranty repairs. I cannot recall who we sent Canon repairs to (in and out of warranty was the same), but it was not Canon, although they were authorised to repair Canon. It was only the pro models that went direct to Canon UK. Used to be called Canon Professional Services <- try registering with them.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote