View Single Post
Old 27th October 2018, 00:47   #6
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Take the filter off ... and bin it. what type of filter is it anyway? if it's affecting daylight exposures by more than 1 stop there's something wrong unless it is an ND Being supplied with the lens I'd guess it would be a UV filter? A wide angle lens in daylight I'd expect to let in more light (than a longer lens) and so need less exposure - not more. Taking star shots It's not going to make any real difference to exposure - just capture more stars, making the starfield in shot look denser than with a zoomed in lens. Are you using a tracking mount? Found a great youtube vid here includes a diy tracker - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg3a0I0duMI
Hi,
I'd already decided to replace the filter with a Hoya, which I ordered yesterday.
I didn't see any plus point regarding the filter when I bought the lens, other than this cheap filter had been fitted from new and had therefore probably protected the lens.
I have been quite unimpressed with the lens for day light shots and had kind of assumed it was down to the cheap filter.

For star photography I am quite pleased with the lens, just wish I didn't have to use such high ISO, which results in so much post processing...
I'm not using a tracking mount. I'm purely a novice and stare at the sky until I can see things!
I tend to use 3200 ISO and a 20 second exposure.

These are the two most recent results using my "new" lens, both taken with full moon which isn't ideal..

I will definitely check out the video you linked to tomorrow, but now I have to go to bed!
Stars over the Brecon beacons. Wales, UK. by Philip Davies, on Flickr
Stars over Ravensroost wood, WIltshire, England. by Philip Davies, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
If the ambient temperature is low then one is advised to expose the camera and lens and give it time to cool and adapt before use; that should reduce the misting.
Hi, I understand that, I was out with my fiance and her camera was completely unaffected, only mine misted up. It wasn't cold out either.
I assumed that the cheap filter that came with the second hand lens was to blame. I wondered if the cheap filters weren't anti fog coated... (I have no idea if any filter has anti fog coating!)