View Single Post
Old 28th June 2020, 20:44   #25
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Stress caused by an aging turbocharger or by a motorist increasing boost pressure from the turbocharger can overwhelm the spring that opens the wastegate at a specified pressure. In these case, the wastegate will flutter because the spring cannot keep the gate fully shut. The boost will oscillate and the engine will stumble and surge as the boost varies rapidly (any given throttle input should create steady boost levels). The engine may also respond sluggishly to throttle input since the wastegate is likely bleeding air.

Under light throttle the car is responsive. It will even rev all the way through the rev range when on say about 3/4 throttle with no hesitation or stuttering at all.

Under normal conditions just driving around at sedate engine speeds the car has good torque and no hesitation. The car feels what I would consider normal when driven sedately, with god midrange pickup.

It will only stutter and surge under absolute full throttle beyond 4.5K or 5k RPM. It’s very violent in second gear and I back off. It can be driven through the stutter/surge in third and fourth and will continue to rev only very jerkily between 5 & 6k.

I don’t intent to always drive the car at full throttle, but it would be nice to be able to have it there when needed.

Do you think these symptoms tie in with what you are saying regarding the wastegate?

Last edited by Mean & Green; 28th June 2020 at 20:48..
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote