View Single Post
Old 26th December 2018, 23:17   #13
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
I wouldn't be happy running an auto thousands of miles in sports mode, it really indicates the tow car is under powered for all road conditions, I would think it could be used to maintain higher revs for uphill stretches however, if it works for you so be it.

What would be interesting is to rig up a temp sensor on the auto box or the cooler and see what it's doing while towing. You could then determine if the standard cooler is doing a job or not.

The use of sports mode is to keep the engine on cam and in turbo range. As on the normal box setting she is sitting at around 1500 rpm which puts her off cam and out of turbo range. She will happily pull in normal drive mode known as economy mode but you are aware of the van behind you. Add to that an extra 15 seconds to the 0 to 60 time. Much prefer sports mode if only to get power down on small roads 0 to 60 time only pulled back by 3 seconds. On the motorway or autoroute. Once the car and can are at 60 mph normal drive mode is selected to keep the box in fifth and avoid her changing up and down all the time.
I have driven wagons all my life though not as my job. I agree that it can be very frustrating if you get behind a crawling caravan. But there is no need for it as with a properly matched unit, pulling the van should not change the speed that you drive at the van will happily follow the car at 60 mph and that is the legal limit.
Bad or poorly educated drivers is what gives caravaners a bad reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote