View Single Post
Old 19th November 2019, 08:51   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Just to add to the plethora of 'they don't make things like they used to 'threads in regards to drop links.

New Lemforder drop link just 12 months old, seven and a half thousand miles failed yesterday.

It seems that we now have to regard Drop links as consumables just like oil and filters. To be changed once a year if they even last that long. Which reading other threads they quite often don't.

I've read all the advice about filling syringes with grease, peeling back rubber gaiters and squeezing some extra in.

But at the end of the day I'm just a strapper who drives a car I'm never going to be squeezing grease into the rubber boot of new parts I just buy a part and give to a mechanic to fit who likewise isn't going to be doing that.

it's an absolute joke, and from my observations of comments on here none of the brands appear to be any better than the others.
Couldn't agree more - I've just had supposedly genuine Unipart ones fail within a year, and that was with extra grease pumped in. I asked my local garage to get me some replacement, and they sent me these Mogg replacement.s Never heard of the make, but they look good, and the top thread is actually a bit shorter than the originals, so you can get a ring spanner over them to do them up. Only time will tell if they are up to the job.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MG and drop link 11.19 002.jpg (57.9 KB, 22 views)
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote