View Single Post
Old 25th January 2017, 02:55   #27
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevF6 View Post
What was the leather cleaner David? If it contains any alcohol then that is quite aggressive for a cleaner. If it was a standard leather cleaner then it was the pure action of rubbing that would have removed that colour because of it being unstable. In any case its good to remove any failing colour - you don't have to go mad but removing loose colour actually makes it more stable for when you re-colour. So don't panic! You can use fine sandpaper to gently remove that excess too.

This is why there is lacquer on these to help prevent wear and issues relating to cleaning. But once that lacquer starts to wear away then the only thing usually holding the surface structure is grease and grime that gets buffed to a false shine. On our leather in the 75's the finish is a mat.

So in your case David:

1). Clean it again then wait for it to dry out.
2). Then sand gently to get a smooth finish.
3). Then use some alcohol (isopropyl) to wipe over it all.
4). Apply lacquer sealer to the worn areas
5). Recolour as advised earlier and use hair dryer.
6). Apply 2 coats of lacquer and use a hair dryer.

Enjoy your new looking long lasting repair
It was a foaming type of cleaner, and i suspect the wheel had perhaps been tocuched up by a previous owner because i have used it on my other car which i have owned from new with no problem, but on this car the colour just dissolved before my eyes. I assume no laquer was used. It was a Turtle wax brand cleaner, the one that comes in a spray can with a brush attached to the lid
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...-cleaner-400ml

So what is the correct name for my colour? Is it sandstone, smokestone, light smokestone or ash grey. There are several names used on ebay.

Last edited by David Lawrence; 25th January 2017 at 03:30..
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote