Old 14th April 2019, 21:21   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Hi,
Currently I have a Canon 700D crop sensor camera.
It's served me well, I love using it and it's been all over the world with me.
Mostly coupled to a rather flexible Tamron super zoom lens. (10-200)
Sometimes I shoot macro and rather more recently a Sigma 10-20 lens, which I do not like so much. The images never seem very sharp.

I love to shoot at night, stars, traffic, towns and cities, as well as the sea and dramatic waves. I use ND filters a lot as really enjoy long exposure photography.

About a month ago, my trusty 700D got soaked. I was photographing a stormy sea when a wave took me by surprise. My own fault and lesson learned.
Since then there are spots on some of my images. I clean them up in photoshop so it's no big issue, but knowing the effects of salt on circuit boards, I don't hold out much hope for the future of my camera.

So, having had the 700D for nearly three years, I've been thinking of upgrading and here I come looking for advice.

I want to see an improvement in my photos by upgrading.
By that I mean so I can actually see and justify the costs involved!
I want a weather sealed body for shooting by the sea and better noise control.
I have my eye on a Canon 6D Mk2, but at £1400 I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.
I know that I need to consider weather sealed lenses as well.

Any advice?
It's been 5 years since I sold a camera, and have not followed updates so am very rusty in terms of specs. but I will throw my tuppence worth in (and what I would have advised when I was selling).

I may be wrong with the 6Dmk2 but the current and last gen 5 and 6Ds are not weather proof (most weather proofing came via the lens (in the form of rubber seals on the L series). From my own experience, you will be reluctant to be using them in anything more than a slight shower, so weather proofing should be well down on your list of spec. Besides, there are many 'rain covers' for doing this though, one coming to mind by a brand called Kata . I have one, but it is a bit of a faff. Whilst at the GP last year during a very heavy downpour, I used a good quality carrier bag with a decent rubber band and a hole for the lens to poke through. It worked very well, and suggest carrying in your camera bag as they take up less space than the Kata type ones.

Again I may be wrong, but way back when ...... , the 5D was the higher model, and for what you shoot, I would give greater consideration on the 5 rather than the 6, as it is (or rather was) geared towards portrait and landscape shooting, with the 6 being more of a compromise for the enthusiast. For long exposures, the 5D mk2 was considered better than the 6D (mk1 - remember 5 years ago lol). the 6D being an entry into full frame, with the 5D being aimed more at the pro and semi pro market. Whether this still applies I do not know, but can imagine it does.

As Jeff states any EFS lenses will not work(you will actually damage the mirror), although you will be able to use the Sigma and Tamron, they will be heavily compromised at wide ends. I would factor in a 24-70, and 70-200 lens.

And again as Jeff says, consider cleaning the sensor, but as it is salt water, make sure you use a very good quality wet cleaning system, the salt could still easily scratch the sensor. (I know you are concerned about the circuitry inside, but it would do no harm to have a back up or secondary camera in the bag).

Incidentally, to get the best out of the 10-20 Sigma, it really needs to be used in the middle of the aperture range, from around f11 - 18. From memory it falls off quickly outside this range.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote