View Single Post
Old 13th April 2010, 07:38   #7
pipenslippers
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If by 'mayo' you mean emulsified oil, then that is not normal. The only way oil can get into the coolant system is via HGF. Whether this is oil residue from an earlier failure or a current problem is the question that needs answering.
I know that's why its bugging me . Could oil also leak into the system from the Turbo ?

Quote:
'Just residue' of what? A previous HGF maybe, but it's not normal. The only thing that should be in the coolant systemis coolant, nothing else.
I'm trying to work out if this was from a previous failure and that the garage didn't flush the system properly (or were just plan lazy and didn't bother).

Quote:
HGF can happen almost any time if there is a coolant leak.
That was my mistake thought it would either happen very early on in the cars history or after a lot more miles had been put on the clock. Joys of being a 75 noobie. I'm now keeping a very close eye on the coolant levels.

Quote:
How do you know?
I'm told the uprated xpart gasket has a tag on it which you can see when looking at the front side of the engine block.

Quote:
Typical of a coolant leak. Do you have to top up very often?
I'm now monitoring the situation more closely. Yesterday I recon the car did 40-50miles and I found myself adding about 40ml to the expansion tank in the evening. I'm gonna keep a proper record over the coming days.

Quote:
I'd say it's either had HGF previously, or it's in progress now. The mayo in the coolant is definitive.
Ah that's the million dollar question or rather the £700 one. With no previous records showing HGF its trying to work out if the HG has recently been replaced or not. I dont want fork out £700 to replace the HG if the work has been done.

Cheers

Pipe.

TC[/quote]
pipenslippers is offline   Reply With Quote