View Single Post
Old 5th July 2020, 22:00   #25
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Well 405k now.

I've driven it from new but it was a company car for the first 118k miles. At around 85k it had clutch hydraulic failure, and then it had two more visits to the garage between 85k and 118k miles for the same thing. At around 130k the clutch hydraulics failed again and this was fixed under warranty - all the work was carried out by two main dealers.

The hydraulics failed again at 286k miles and I replaced the master cylinder seals. The slave went at 299k miles and I replaced it with a LUK one. I also fitted the cheapest friction disc I could find because I thought anything would outlast the hydraulics. I actually fitted the old friction disc that came out to my Freelander when the slave went on that as it was well within the official RAVE wear specifications.

That pretty much brings it up to date, and the system has just started losing fluid again. No signs of any leakage as yet but it will probably be the slave again. I'll change the DMF this time round, as I have a good as new one from a scrapper in the garage, and the original was near its wear limits last time round.

From the start the clutch hydraulics have been a weak point on these cars and they often don't outlast the friction plate, the bit that should wear. I've said it before, but if the brake slave cylinders failed before you got through the first set of pads everyone would be up in arms.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote