View Single Post
Old 30th September 2019, 09:15   #383
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogweed View Post
When I was in IT before retirement, I constantly astonished me how people just trusted computers/websites/whatever with stuff that REALLY mattered. One senior manager in the insurance company I worked for kept all her stuff on her ancient Compaq P166 (well… that was a while ago…) despite my nagging her to put it on the server, which was backed up every night.

She wouldn't, because she felt that other people might get access to her stuff – I didn’t think it advisable to let her know I could access the data on her computer any time I wanted anyway, if she didn’t encrypt folders etc.

The day came when her hard disk crashed, and she asked me to get her stuff back – it was a hard crash, so I couldn’t, and she went mental, telling me she had lost two years’ budget work, like it was my fault.

Quote:
Anyway, the moral with data (pics etc) is: if it matters, it MUST be in (at least) two places, eg PC and USB stick, or PC and cloud. That way, you lose one, you still have the other
All my photo's are on my PC 1TB hard drive, backed up on an external 1TB drive, then backed up again on another 1TB external drive.

Also they were on three hosting site Photo Bucket, inypic, and now Imgur. so I do not have the worry of losing the content of my photo's its the out side third party hosting that is the trouble as we now know PB are just a nightmare.

I suppose all outside hosting companies will go the same way, it is all about profit for them yet they are not getting my custom so they must be losing out somewhere along the line.

I have to be careful as I do not want to turn this thread into another PB debatable topic when I already have one running.

So many threads on here go off track it's unreal, and you end up trudging through pages of posts that have nowt to do with the matter subject.

As I say I have all the relevant/applicable photo's to my threads but it is the man power in time I do not have to sort out ever thread, so I will do them as and when I can sorry guys

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote