View Single Post
Old 21st July 2017, 07:37   #18
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Hi.

First and foremost glad you're OK.

Cars (and bikes see later) don't just fall off the road for no reason.

To quote from Scotty in Star Trek "I canna’ change the laws of physics." That's centrifugal forces and friction.

So, for something unexpected to happen, something else is going on - the forces change or the friction changes (Newton "....an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.").

You were a good way through a sweping bend so the car would be nicely settled on the suspension and the forces would be nicely in balance.

Radius changes - tightening the bend - on roads do happen but are pretty rare. Highly unlikely the cornering forces changed. If you were going too fast I'd have expected to hear tyre squeeling - road tyres don't just "let go" and dump you off the road.

If all 4 tyres looked OK afterwards that doesn't sound like a blow out type puncture. A slow puncture or low pressure wouldn't generally have you straight off the road without a fair bit of warning something was amiss - and they were OK a couple of days ago.

If the car was going broadside that suggests loss of grip at the back. I would have thought a broken front spring would have simply understeered you straight off the road? (Happy to be educated if that's not what usually happens).

Catastrophic suspension (or other) failure? Maybe, but without a "forensic" type strip down very difficult to say. You didn't hear anything suggesting a broken spring or similar. From what you've said there's a high standard of general repair & maintenance - you had it all checked over (no disrespect if your car is absolutely mint - I'm a newbie so don't know many yet). Maybe a fault in one of the new springs????

Which brings us on to road surface.

Those of us with 2 wheel history know all too well the joys of extra "stuff" on the road. There's the "Diesel Kills" campaign aimed at educating those that have a tendency to overfill their tanks not to - because it puts you on the tarmac in an instant.

I've had to "rescue" an friend at a set of traffic lights - they stop, foot goes down and waahayy....... Absolutely no warning, no tell tale pretty patterns just there she goes.

Accidents don't just "happen" they develop so a completely unexpected turn of events is something external, not a gradual deterioration.

So, in the absence of something obviously breaking I'm going with diesel (or something similar) on the road which caused the problem.

As before, the most important bit is that you're OK.

Just my twopenneth.

Thanks for the heads up to check out odd noises etc.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 21st July 2017 at 07:54..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote