View Single Post
Old 20th July 2021, 22:02   #2
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

...........who was doing them as a special deal for £350.............

............The car had 140,000 on the clock ............

............where the mechanic opened the bleed pipe and let out some air and said that should do it..................

...........The car was with the chap for three weeks................

.............and eventually told me he had traced the problem to a faulty slave cylinder.........

Alarm bells should have rung loud and clear when the price for a clutch on a 140,000 mile, 18 year old car, was £350.

You didn't mention exactly what it was he replaced, nor the make or quality of the parts and I would be surprised if he offered the old units to see any wear.

But any good mechanic worth his salt would have suggested at least a friction plate, pressure plate and slave cylinder and guide as a minimum, and mention that a new master cyl would be a good idea, also he should have shown you the results of measuring the dual mass flywheel play, to ensure you should get another 140,000 out of the new clutch.

I know this may sound harsh, but the phrase " Buy cheap buy twice. " still stands the test of time.

As well as the initial cost, if you add in the time to return the car several times, have a master cyl fitted and being without the car for 3 + weeks, the costs to you have potentially doubled and reading through your post, it appears the saga hasn't ended yet !