View Single Post
Old 7th November 2018, 17:55   #23
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
I've really lost count of the many instrument packs I've had to sort out after people have "jump started" their cars the usual one is the 999999 issue due to a voltage spike.

Then the instrument pack needs stripping, eeprom reprogrammed, reassembled and then configured correctly on T4.

My advice take it or leave it, is unless it's really absolutely necessary is to avoid using a battery or booster to start a car take the battery off and charge it

Often it doesn't take too long to get enough charge in it for it to start a car.

Russ
Russ - do you know whether any of the cars that suffered from spike damage had been jump started using a power pack?

My personal order of choice is based on avoiding connection/disconnection to an operational alternator as much a possible in order to reduce the likelihood of a spike resulting from inductive or regulation components reacting to the sudden load changes. So, circumstances allowing, my order of preference for starting a car with a discharged battery is as follows:

1. Remove battery, charge, reconnect.

2. Use an intelligent maintenance type charger in situ for a few hours.

4. Use my spare fully-charged battery as a source for a jump start.

5. Use a power pack as the source.

6. Jump start car to car, with the donor car's engine switched off.

Last edited by MSS; 8th November 2018 at 07:58..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote