Thread: My two 75's
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2018, 21:26   #172
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Well it's going to be next year before I get that drive in the 75 again.

We had some bad news in the family, so the missus has been spending some time with her sister and I've been busy carrying out some work on her fathers house as he passed away in January and we will be selling his house.
We've put the caravan holidays on hold for now but at least this has given me just enough time to squeeze in some work on the V6.
I've prepared it for cam belt replacement right down to removing the old belts. I've started to clean everything up in readiness for the rebuild and will be ordering some new parts next week. I'm going to replace the water pump, auxiliary belt and anything else it requires. It also now requires a new battery as the original one has just packed up after 13 years "they don't make em last anymore"
I've also decided to do a similar job to the rear suspension that I did with our diesel a couple of years back although not with new springs as the car doesn't need them.

Hopefully by the spring It will be ready for action again as this year I've even been using the bus to allow the missus use of her Jaguar.

As I said before "watch this space"

Having had both of these types of lovely looking cars. I will take the Rover every time. That is a very personal statement. I found the jag to be too cramped in the back. The Rover is not the biggest but it makes the jag seem like a mini. The Rover was a nice place for this old crip to sit and still be able to walk after a few hours behind the wheel and no rust thanks to being wax injected when I bought her the jag on the other hand was a rust bucket despite the same care. I don’t understand the Rust as the Ford does not have the same problem.
The Rover is nice and quiet and has a smooth ride on its 15 inch wheels, the Jag is noisy both inside and out almost 18db more and only comes with rubber band tyres. You feel every bump.
For towing I found the Rover a much more stable tow car than the Jag, the Jag was much more prone to snaking.
And the electronic handbrake on the Jag was going wrong every couple of months. An easy fix just pull the fuse wait ten seconds then replace the fuse. The ESP in the winter would lock the Jags gearbox out at least six times a year whilst the Rover never gave any trouble.
But as I say that was just my experience. I am sure many others would prefer the Jag.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote