View Single Post
Old 16th November 2014, 16:40   #4
michael peters
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
A product called “Sprint Booster” is on the market and BMW and Minis are included in its product range. Apparently an E46 (2001?) was used in a demonstration.

Does anyone know of this product, and if it fits the E46 and Mini cars, can it be installed in our cars.

It is intended for late model cars,that have Electronic Throttle Control aka Drive-By-Wire in lieu of the old throttle cable of former years. The delayed response (intended to be a safety feature) appears to be a common annoyance with vehicles fitted with ETC / DBW and subdued acceleration can create problems in certain situations such as overtaking etc.

This product’s short cable (with its box of electronics) intercepts between the cars accelerator box and the outgoing cable to the throttle body. Said to be a 10 minute job to install.

My car responds well when moving off from rest. However, when asked to accelerate from a low speed, there is a definite short delay before my car responds.

egremont
Funny enough. I was thinking of posting asking if anyone had ever modified a throttle position sensor. Only had my diesel 75 a short while, very pleased with it but it is a bit of a slug to get going. I felt a lot of this perception is down to the very long pedal travel, about 3 inches compared to my Merc van which has a total pedal travel of about 1 1/2 inches. As said, only in my mind but I felt a much shorter pedal travel would sharpen up the response. Probably use more fuel as well!!!!!
michael peters is offline   Reply With Quote