View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2019, 13:02   #30
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I have been reading this and something that seems to been forgotten is the oil companies, they make millions every day and I am sure they are not going to sit back and and let us all convert to EV with out some sort of fight.

My feeling is ice powered vehicles will still be about for many years unless they find a way of extending the range. Commercial vehicles often do many miles a day with little or no downtime and vehicles like ambulces are used 24 7 so they will have to come up with a solution to that.

I feel if we come back in 50 years it might not be as different as we fear.
The oil companies are already shifting into the charging route LINK as just one example, and recently saw an ad for BP Power - as in household electric.

If you think how electric vehicles have come on in just the past ten years after a concerted effort, I can easily believe the technology will have become commonplace for a 600 mile range for a car, with quick charge batteries. The quick charge batteries will be deemed too dangerous to charge at home so will need to be charged via a charging station (current oil companies). With the supply partially from solar and wind power located within a station (instead of tanks) as well as a supply from a power plant operated by a former oil company. With cables supplying these stations without the need of a fleet of oil tankers to supply the underground tanks.

What will really accelerate this 'revolution' will be banning of initially private ICEs in exclusion zones. With the ban of new ICEs from 2030 (possibly earlier - 2025 in some places), by 2050, it would be realistic that ICEs will be a rare sight on the road. Think how often you see a Triumph car (of any type), a mark 2 Capri, mk3 Cortine on the road? These cars are roughly 45-50 years old now, which our cars would be by 2050. Ignoring rust for the time being (because you can consider non rust affected countries eg spain), a lot of these cars were put off the road because of a lack of parts, as well as leaded fuel. You could consider it a natural selection for cars. People buy them on trend, availability and convenience.

I dont think your term of I feel if we come back in 50 years it might not be as different as we fear. is complete. I feel if we come back in 50 years it might not be as different nor as difficult as we fear. would be more accurate.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote