View Single Post
Old 26th October 2017, 08:42   #36
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
My first car a 1960 Beetle bought in 1971 was pretty rusty, the sills were poor, no running boards due to this, rear bumper mounts rusted away. All got fixed though by my friendly neighbour who was a brilliant welder.
My next car a Mini was 8 years old on purchase and had already two new wings, rear subframe and sills, nice car though. Next was an Anglia van with a holed floor, after that an Imp van that was rust free at 8 years old, it though was unreliable with cooling issues. Then I had a load of Skodas from the 1000mb to a Felicia, some different cars in between. The Skodas were average not really any worse or better than other makes of the time for rust. Only when I got an Audi 80 did I see any improvements, it was by far the best. A few BMW's were terrible 2002, 518 by far the worst rosters I've come across.
My 2014 Panda is remarkably good, they have one known weakness, it's the rear spring cups on the beam, mine are perfect but I have sprayed them a couple of times with rustproof spray and I keep the car clean and do the underside monthly, also washed behind the arch liners a couple of times this year.