Thread: New Project
View Single Post
Old 7th February 2020, 23:35   #44
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default Things looking better.

Now I have a brief worry about this project with the engine rebuild which I completed yesterday.... I put just plain water into the cooling system today along with a "Finish" dish washer tablet. I want to flush out any stuff no right to be there before I put some proper anti-freeze in.

Soon after start up, cue clouds of Steam out of the exhaust... I do mean clouds. I have seen this before with engine rebuilds where the cars have been out of use for a couple of years or more. It cleared and settled down to a "misting" level you see from even new cars on cold start up in these weather conditions. Even so it was a worry at first ... I'm thinking coolant entering the Exhaust System...somehow or even a worn Turbocharger. Car has 104,000 miles and looks like original Turbocharger. Time may tell.

I allowed the engine to idle for about twenty minutes with the occasional blip on the Throttle to rev up. After which time the Radiator Fan came on strongly. I activated the 19-7 setting on the IPK and watched the reading climb up to 110c ... that after now say thirty minutes. Holding the engine at 2,500 rpm for some seconds soon saw the reading drop down towards 100c. Not entirely happy with things so will monitor closely again tomorrow. Car stationary during the whole time so no air through radiator as would be the case driving along. That may expalin the high readings. Seen that before with other cars.

On first start up today the Cam Followers were noisy. Like an old clackitty Diesel. At least one very noisy. All appeared to settle down to an acceptable level of noise when the engine became fully warmed up some ten~fifteen minutes later..

Ran my rebuilt 1.8T Engine up to temperature today with occasional burst from idle up to 3500-4000 revs for a few seconds. Some steam from the twin exhaust pipes on start up cold ( heavy frost overnight ) but nowhere near what it was on that very first start up. Checked the Filler Cap and Dip Stick looking for things I did not want to see. Clear as a Bell...all good signs.

Even so, only when it's out on the road will I really see if the job has been the success I hoped for. So far the engine rebuild is looking very good. The noisy valve gear has settled down. I will drain the oil and fill the sump with Diesel Fuel and run the engine like that as this has been a very effective engine flush in the past for me. Done it several times but, as I stressed before, I am NOT recommending others do this, only that it works very effectively for me. However, I have a nagging doubt in my mind that most of that steam previously was from a worn Turbocharger allowing coolant to enter the exhaust in some way. No signs of any oil where it should not be and with the engine at fast idle and my hand hovering above the open Oil Filler, no signs of any piston Blow By ...... those new Pistons, Rings and Cylinder Liner are looking good... so far.

Few images taken today. All with engine running. :~

Dipstick oil looks fine too.

Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote