Old 13th August 2018, 13:44   #15
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
Payen Gasket and Bolts ordered today.

this will be all my parts Sourced for the works to begin

I may consider.....well I AM Considering, using Blue Coolant rather than OAT we'll see - the suspicion being that OAT eats away at the Elastomer beading on the Gasket

I'll be interested to get eyes on the currently installed Gasket etc..

I have the MG/Rover liquid Gasket for the Camshaft Bearing Ladder I suspect the Black liquid Gasket used when the Head Gasket repair was done on my car is not the best

Paul.
The elastomer does not dissolve away. It's the adhesive bond between the elastomer and the gasket that fails due to pressure differentials over time between the cooling system and the oil system. If the elastomer material is EPDM for example it will react with hydrocarbon and swell causing the adhesive bond to be lost. However I have never found out what material the elastomer on the gasket is made of. Never seen OAT damage so far on elastomer and have been running OAT since the changeover in 2000ish?, perhaps the plastic components may be subject embrittlement to an extent. Example photos shown on here of elastomer damage looks to be more from assembly issues of cutting or dry rolling the o-ring.

Don't clart the cam bearing or bearing ladder with sealant, apply ever so thinly thinly so it does not extrude into the oilways.

BTW Honda bond is superior to any RTV and has a really good adherence after many thousands of miles it still holds.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote