View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2019, 20:32   #46
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Got a major update on the issue now. I wanted to try and swap the coils on the rear of the engine today, and while managed to get to them by removing everything, I noticed that I forgot to tightly screw down the coil screws, I only screwed them hand tight However, torqued everything down properly now, triple checked every single screw and connection and installed everything back. Ran the car, and it runs thousand times better, felt like the misfire was gone for a while, however, the misfire can still slightly be felt while idling, and when running, you can feel it really sporadically, and it happens rarely and it is barely noticeable if you don't know from before that it's there, and while looking at live data with delphi scanner while driving, guess what, now every cylinder was sporadically misfiring in a chaotic matter, even though, as said, you can feel them only every now and then... and also it seems that cylinder 5 is not the one with the most misfires anymore, but rather cylinder 2 now besides the other that happen randomly. Also, white smoke still present.

Although, the situation is furthermore confusing, I've had a a powerful odor of fuel in the oil that I took out of the engine today, and also the exhaust is blowing white smoke, these 2 things indicate that oil gets inside the combustion chamber and is being burned and also that fuel is being forced in the oil too

And Simon, I'd say yes and no, every spark plug was showing signs of only "normal" wear with nr 5 being a little blacker than the others, with normal meaning that they weren't replaced for longer than minimun 4 years I guess, but no abnormal contamination or gunk or sandiness on the electrodes or something like that

And yes, the stethoscope was clearly indicating the souns from the bell hoising, but my mechanic told me that it's not a cedtainty because, of course as every metal part in an engine and transimission is connected to one another, the sound will resonate through every part making the stethoscope method unreliable in this case
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote