Thread: Ticking noise
View Single Post
Old 11th November 2019, 16:20   #70
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Well I've got some rather confusing news to say so... the mechanic that carried the timing job told me that he didn't have the time to wait until the new aux belt tensioner and idler pulleys arrived because he has a garage with only one place for a car and since it took more than one week for those to arrive it's totally understandable, and therefore, he told me that he opened the bearings of the aux pulleys and filled them with some kind of special grease and as he claims, they are working perfectly fine and noise-free now. I am still not sure if I should believe him or not, and even if he filled them with that grease, I really don't think that it would help resurrecting the dead horse, maybe the tensioner and idler pulleys were exactly the ones responsible for the tapping noise and not the lifters as I'm presuming now, even though the noise is not that hearable from the front side of the engine as it is from the rear where the small cambelts are... And I asked him more than once if he's sure that the aux pulleys that he filled with grease are not the ones responsible for the tapping noise and he assured me that they aren't
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote