View Single Post
Old 26th October 2020, 21:18   #8
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Wow, what a mess. Waiting to hear if it's all worked out. Got the same ABS issue myself but until your post had no idea what to do next - thanks it's likely saved me a T4 session and £50.
By chance I'd obtained a S/H modulator only a couple of days ago (off 2-Diesels on hear) so I have (I hope) a doner replacement solenoid unit to try rather than upset the hydraulics.
Initially my light came 'on' but would extinguish with the ignition being switched 'off'. On restart the light would remain off and I could drive for any distance until I used the brakes (which was accompanied by a sort of intermittent light grating/grinding noise) then the light would come on again; now the light is constantly on and the intermittent noise has ceased altogether (in other words the modulator has completely ceased operating).
I also found my cruise control stopped working so can I presume cruise control utilises the wheel speed sensor(s), anyone know if that is because the ABS is showing faulty..?
Thanks John - will let you know what happens when I go for a spin. I am hopeful that it will be OK.

I think (and someone please chime in) that cruise control uses a signal from the NSF sensor. I would take a guess that if the light extinguishes after the ignition is turned on that the sensors and module are passing their static test. If the problem then manifests on driving / braking then it could be the reluctor ring in the bearing (or maybe dirt etc somewhere) that is causing signal problems when braking and your ABS is then kicking in as it thinks you have a wheel locking.

I am just theorising here and I am sure someone has a more definite answer that might narrow down your problem solving options.

Keep us posted.

By the way...taking the front of the modulator is a bit tricky and I had to unbolt the modulator and brackets as far as I could and then went through many types T20 torx bits, extensions, flexible drives and spanners until I was able to get them all undone. it was a tad awkward and you need to flex the pump position without straining the hard pipes too much to get everything unbolted and free but it is possible.

Jonty

Last edited by drjonts; 28th October 2020 at 06:41..
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote