View Single Post
Old 12th November 2017, 09:28   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
.. KIA thermostat and DMGRS thermostat are the plastic alternatives to the OEM kv6 thermostat .
Hello Chris,

After much research and testing of theories I am certain that the thermostat housing is not the component which fails. It is the 'O' rings which flatten and leak. I have proved this by successfully refitting the original housing with new 'O' rings. The cause of the 'O' ring failure has been harder to determine until I made two discoveries.
  • The Chinese have modified the MGR thermostat housing to include three stabilising legs. Unfortunately due to current exchange rates these appear to be no longer available in the UK since it is cheaper to buy unmodified housings from the EU.
  • I worked out the purpose of the strange toothed clips on the straight pipe. Although it is not mentioned in the workshop manual, I believe that it is vital that these are pushed outwards to their fullest extent after assembly to prevent movement and subsequent wear of the 'O' rings.

I am currently running my car having implemented the above changes. My advice is to renew the 'O' rings and ensure that the plastic clips are refitted as described. There is no need to renew the thermostat housing itself since many KV6 owners have not suffered any coolant leakage at all.

Simon