View Single Post
Old 16th July 2020, 12:42   #27
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty2 View Post
Not quite the case. Provided your bike’s electric assist is limited to 15.7 MPH before it cuts out, no licence or insurance required. Speed pedelecs (more powerful with regulated top speeds of 28MPH) require these (and an MoT after 3 years) and I think a CBT. These top speeds apply to powered assistance by the way. There’s nothing to stop you pedalling downhill at 30 MPH in a 20MPH zone in a standard pedelec without fear of being fined while being caught in a speed pedelec doing so (no motor assist at that speed) is liable to a fine and penalty points. Because they’re classified as motor vehicles, speed pedelecs are also excluded from cycle paths and lanes. Not surprising that in my cycling hundreds of miles on my modestly powered standard pedelec, I have yet to come across one!
I wouldn't ride a bicycle of any type these days.

But a power assisted bike years ago would have been very handy with the amount of pesky hills, would have made life so much easier.

I remember when myself and my friend were stopped by Police for overtaking a Police Car going down down Telegraph Hill (dual carriageway), apparently we were doing close to 80mph.
Didn't have helmets on, they didn't exist then.
Frightening prospect these days, I wouldn't do it.

That was 43 years ago, I was 15.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote