View Single Post
Old 17th August 2016, 08:45   #13
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
Many thanks for replies. For the moment I'll ignore the fan question (basically I have a two speed fan, and the T4 test and the demist test shows that both speeds trigger it to run - but there is no difference in volume between the low speed and the high speed, it sounds like in both cases it's running at the same speed. Does anyone have a link to the difference in sound between the low and high speeds?)

Just on coolant - the system was presumably drained and refilled when the car was serviced and the cambelts and water pump were done a few weeks ago (by a competent Rover trained mechanic who is active on this forum so I assume he used the proper technique for filling up).

Could the cause of my "leak" have been a significant airlock that would now have disappeared on account of my putting in 2 litres of coolant last week? The coolant has to go somewhere. But if there was an airlock, why would it only manifest itself as an overheating engine and dry expansion tank a month after the work was done, rather than on the first drive home? Especially because the first couple of times I used the car after the service, I checked the levels and they were fine.

The alternative is that I do indeed have a leak - but where? It's not the thermostat (no coolant in the "V"), not the oil cooler (normal oil levels and no emulsion), not the head gasket (no mayo in the header tank), not the heater matrix (no coolant stains), not the radiator (new last year, no stains), not the water pump (no stains), not the filler cap (new)....
The oil cooler can leak to the outside, that is water dripping out, that would not affect the oil at all.
Get the car looked at on a lift. Don't assume all is well just because it is new! I agree rare, but I have had new items faulty, out of the box.
This is one case where you throw all assumption out, and check each and every item.
Check or substitute each item.