Thread: New lens!
View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:49   #10
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
did you look in the camera calibration, particularly for the lens profile? All my lenses have profiles in it, and they work nearly completely.

It is something I havent had to use in a long time, but there used to be some great actions available to download online. (A basic Google search seems to suggest that they are not widely available any longer - probably little need)

If it is not too much, you can enlarged the image, and trace around the edges with the desaturate tool in PS - with a soft edge, working on a new layer so you can adjust the intensity of its effect. If you go too much, it can have the opposite effect creating a halo.

When taking a shot that was liable for it, (eg high contrast areas with highly defined edges - trees, subjects against a sky), I would remove any filters I had on the lens, as these could introduce their own - particularly skylight or UV filters - also tele converters too.

Experimenting with stopping down the lens can have an effect. Having the lens at the extremes (opened and stopped down) of their apertures can affect the fringing. The lens I had most bother with was a 70-200 Canon kit type lens, which was pre digital (fringing is common on film lenses when used with a digital sensor - emulsion was less sensitive to it). I found using it between f 8 and 16 were its sweet spots for it, and definitely no filter (I gave it to my ex, who used it mainly in auto, and it would be horrendous when used outdoors with a blue sky - to me it was anyway).

Be realistic too, particularly if you dont notice it, or it doesnt bother you. I may be too critical as it was one of my bug bears. It was quite obvious in my earlier digital shots, and it used to be discussed frequently in photographic magazines and in particular reviews. Because of this, I see it everywhere, even on TV i can see it quite often (telephoto lenses of camcorders from the mid noughties and TV lenses from the 90's too, were notorious for it, mainly due to their size or lack of developed coatings).

Thank you.
Yes, I did check the lens profile, I had indeed inputted it.
The lens was set wide open, so that may be what I need to keep in mind next time.

I do have a UV filter applied, only to protect the lens. I may try removing it, but I hope it wouldn't cause this issue. The filter cost almost made me cry, but worthwhile having to protect the lens.

For these images, it doesn't bother me too much. I doubt they will ever be printed, but I'd like to know how to work around it.

On another note, the moon was spectacular last night. I couldn't resist taking a shot..
The moon was an interesting colour tonight... by Philip Davies, on Flickr