View Single Post
Old 25th September 2018, 15:43   #15
nomzamo999
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Finally got to the bottom of the problem.
I changed the plugs, coil packs & HT leads, but it wasn't that.
I checked for a bent con rod, but it wasn't that.
I checked for misaligned camshafts, but it wasn't that.
Finally, I spent a tenner on a Bluetooth OBD reader.
Torque Pro immediately flagged up a camshaft position sensor fault, which returns every time I clear it.
Ordered a replacement from DMGRS & then we'll be all systems go once more!
Thanks to everyone who offered advice 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomzamo999 View Post
Hi all.
I've had my 160 a month now and I'm in need of a little advice.
When I bought it (cheap), it had a bit of a coolant leak, which I assumed was the head gasket. On advice I changed the inlet manifold gasket, which stopped the leak. However, before the gasket arrived, the engine developed a misfire and then hydro locked. When I changed the inlet gasket I also changed the spark plugs, and the misfire went away.
I took the car to Silverstone (700 mile round trip) for the British Grand Prix. The car got there lovely, but while I was there I ran the engine for a few hours to charge my phone and the short top hose burst. AA fixed it and I drove it home. As I drove home, I noticed the misfire was back.
When I got home I cleaned the plugs and shone a torch into each cylinder. All looked well, but to be honest I didn't really know what I was looking for. Since then I have changed both coil packs and both HT leads. Running is less lumpy, but still not right.
Here's where I need the advice. Could the hydro locking have bent a valve stem? I can't hear any tappetty sort of sounds; there's just a stutter on acceleration and a bit of lumpiness at low revs. The only other thing I can think of, if not a valve stem, is a damaged injector.
So, before I spend out on new injectors or take the head off, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I should be looking at.
Thanks in advance.
Martin

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
nomzamo999 is offline   Reply With Quote