View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:32   #29
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I spend part of the year living outside of the EU. Today it has been 26C and rainy. The warmer weather is an appeal for retirees in Spain or like us in the tropics. I live off an NHS pension and if one is careful it is possible to still have a comfortable lifestyle. It’s only taxed once in the UK and not taxed again in Kenya. There is no welfare state and no NHS here, so private health insurance is important. For the 2 of us at our age it costs £8000 p.a

Do check out your health entitlements and other benefits for a non EU resident. I guess you could apply for Spanish and EU residency, once the UK leaves the EU, then entitlements will be free if you are successful. Do your research I wonder what their terms and conditions are. The upside of living in the tropics is the weather, the wildlife and being able to swim in the warm waters of the Indian Ocean, all accessible. The flight between London and Nairobi is 8 and half hours one way and 9 hours the other way. I am used to it. Spanish is not a difficult language to pick up and English is the second language

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 2nd April 2018 at 14:36..