View Single Post
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:36   #54
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Just done a journey to and from Brum today, about 220 miles, with over 200 on motorways. Got back tonight, just after midnight. My normal discipline as to lanes and positioning, but did an estimate that though I was around the maximum speed limit all the way back, 80% of vehicles I encountered, were those overtaking me - thank goodness for rules and regulations.

Just an observation......

Was the motorway quiet that late at night? I'd imagine so.

Did you see any collisions or any gantry signs indication any sort of delay because of an "incident" (excepting "maintenance" type works)?

If not, then the fact that they were breaking an arbitary speed limit does not seem to have caused any problems whatsoever? Clearly speed didn't kill any of them or anyone else.

If the rules are perceived to be ridiculous then they will be ignored IF the chances of being "caught" are minimal &/or you've the money/power/clout to make any fine irrelevent to your lifestyle.

I'll refer back to my post No. 28. IMHO the issue is distance/space not speed.

I've had the joy of seeing some Police training videos where there the national speed limit applied and you'd be lucky or stupid to be doing more than about 10-15mph without falling off the road. And the opposite where the officers have doubled the speed limit and arrived at their destination without incident.

It's down to training, skill, concentration and the right mindset, not an arbitary speed limit.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 23rd December 2018 at 09:38..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote