View Single Post
Old 26th June 2021, 18:12   #6
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Hi folks I would appreciate any help that you could offer this OAP technophobe !!
My laptop is 10 years old and and way past it's best, I've paid out a few quid over the years to keep it running but now I've decided it's time to say goodbye and replace it. But with what? My needs are not massive just a bit of forum work some on line shopping and live streaming some sport and the odd movie.
I've looked on line but TBH I have no idea if I need 2-4-6-8 or 200 gb
Any suggestions of what to buy (New or recon) I would like to go HD with a decent sized screen and Windows 10 because that's what I'm used to, I have a flexible budget but would like to keep it realistic
Ta Ian

May i suggest your current laptop might find new life if its current operating system is replaced with a linux based system something like Linux mint or even better still for lower (older) spec machines is Lubuntu, which stands for Light weight Ubuntu. Lubuntu will easily perform all the things you want to do and its free also there is a free office package called libre office, it works just like MS office but again free and ms office docs can be imported into it. Obv it might mean some relearning as things under the bonnet are a little different to windows but its much the same really and they always provide free security updates for the life of the particular version of linux you choose. Even if you do upgrade to a new machine with windows on it, why not play with the old machine and test Lubuntu?

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote